Making change happen is hard…not going to lie to you! I have spent the last 20 (ish) years losing weight. I have, on occasion, actually lost some of that weight, only to have it pile back on again when I wasn’t looking!
When you know, you KNOW
I know it’s perfectly possible to lose weight. Over the years I have watched friends, and read about celebrities, who have successfully done this. It’s one thing knowing that losing weight is a theoretical possibility. It’s another thing entirely to KNOW, with absolute certainty, that I can lose weight.
I couldn’t quite translate other people’s success in losing weight into something that I could achieve. My past history had shown that I was basically rubbish at it. Weight loss was what other people achieved, not something I could actually do.
30 day healthy eating challenge
In September I completed a 30 day healthy eating challenge working with my friend Joanne Bibby of Joanne Bibby, Live Life Well. I had met Joanne earlier in the year and had been following her Live Life Well page on Facebook. Joanne posts a lot of photos of her meals – they look so scrummy! We got talking about recipes and food generally and I was really interested in trying out some of these healthy meals.
Over the past couple of years my diet has been changing. I have reduced down my dairy and gluten consumption and felt better for it. Joanne asked if I would like to work with her to help me make more changes to my eating habits. The 30 day healthy eating plan was only a part of the work we did with regular calls, information sharing and check-in points. I kept a record of my weight and measurements as well as writing down what I had eaten each day.
By the end of the 30 days, I had lost 8lbs. This isn’t an earth-shatteringly huge amount, but it has been a life changing amount. I haven’t been this weight for 8 years. I was thrilled, but also a little sceptical – been there, done that, got all of the weight back!!
October came and went. We had a week off work, a couple of weekends away plus 3 really hectic weeks. Joanne and I stayed in touch, just checking in once a week. I think I was testing out whether or not the weight would stay lost! My weight did move up, but only by 2lbs. I ended the month back down to the 8lbs off.
This thing that other people had succeeded at was now mine too! Something clicked inside my head. Instead of knowing on an intellectual level that it was possible for me to lose weight and keep it off, I now knew at an internal level that it was something I could do. I had made change happen.
It felt very, very different.
My experience had shifted something within me. I don’t think it would have shifted if I hadn’t made a decision to work with Joanne on the 30 day healthy eating plan. By deciding to tackle the weight problem differently I have achieved something I really did not believe I could do. I focused on eating really tasty food that met my low carb, low sugar, low gluten requirements. As a result, I have eaten some fabulous meals, found a new bunch of recipes and had the knock-on bonus of losing weight.
I have restarted the 30 day healthy eating plan to keep me focused and consolidate the good habits learnt in September. I hope that I will also lose more weight. That hope now comes with a belief that I can make further change happen. And it feels gooood!
Making change happen
So what made the difference?
- Working with Joanne helped to keep me focused. Her encouragement and unquestioning faith in her process helped me to succeed.
- Information and a plan meant I wasn’t doing this blind. There was a plan to work to, something that others had used to achieve their goals with
Why am I telling you all of this?
Because I want you to know that it’s possible to make change happen when you put all of the right ingredients together (pun intended!) For me, those ingredients were when I
- Had a desire for something in my life to be different. I wanted to learn how to cook the food that Joanne was eating!
- Was prepared to do something to change an element of my life. I wanted to eat more healthily.
- Had support from someone who knew about the things I wanted to change. Joanne lives this day in and day out, so who better to work with?
- Was willing to stick with it and take a long-term view. I have carried this extra weight for 20 years so knew it was going to take some time to change that.
- Want to take the first step. I had to start somewhere and chatting with Joanne helped me to take the first step.
I am still a “work in progress”. I have no idea exactly how this is going to turn out but what I absolutely, totally, positively and most definitely do know now is that I CAN do it.
My experiences over the past couple of months have made me appreciate how tricky it may be for anyone with a chronic fatigue illness to believe that it would be possible for them to get their life back.
For most people, the prognosis given for M.E, Fibromyalgia and CFS will probably have included he words “long term”, “chronic” and “incurable”. They may have heard about others who have regained their health and are living a full and active life. But perhaps, like me, they do not believe it is something that they can actually achieve.
Recipe for success
If we mix all of the right ingredients together, just like I did to lose weight, it is possible to make change happen. You need to:
- Have a desire to lead a different life
- Be prepared to do something to change elements of your life
- Have support from someone who knows about the things you want to change
- Be willing to stick with it and take a long-term view
- Want to take the first step.
Taking the first step is always the hardest part of the journey. For someone with M.E, Fibromyalgia or CFS, the first step is to complete an Online Health Profile. It’s a quick and easy way of gathering the details of your symptoms and health history ready for your complimentary 30 minute Health Profile Review.
So, what will make a difference for you?
- Working with me. I am an Accredited Chrysalis Effect Practitioner who has chosen to specialise in chronic fatigue. I will help you with support, encouragement and unquestioning faith in our processed to support you in making change happen.
- Information and a plan – There is a plan that has been tried and tested by many over the past 10 years. It works. There is also plenty of information and a fabulous support network in our online Facebook forum.